Thursday, May 29, 2014

Chasing the Sun – Optional Extension to Kamakura & Hakone


21 guests joined Leslie, Akiko and me on the three-day extension. I was no longer required (or being paid) to be a tour manager, but I was still seen by most people as a TM, but it wasn’t any big deal because this was such an easy and delightful group of people to be with. I enjoyed good conversations and time on my own to contemplate life!

Kamakura is a cute and ancient seaside town where the main attractions are an outdoor Buddha (his temple burnt down) and some great shopping.


The Diabutsu Buddha

We checked into our hotel in Hakone. This hotel is a Ryokan or traditional Japanese spa hotel with natural hot spring waters. There are both private, in your room, soaking tubs and communal baths for both sexes. I tried both and tended to prefer the one in my room!


My Room

My tub – you shower and bathe first, then get in the tub to soak.

We wore robes and slippers once we were inside the resort, even to dinner! It was very relaxing and interesting. The food was very traditional and I tried everything, (at least one bite).

Me in my robe


Our dining tables were about 18 inches off the ground.

Dining in our snazzy robes

Traditional Japanese Breakfast

Tried it

Not going to be a favorite!

We only had one full day for sight seeing. But made the most of it...


The Hakone Sculpture Garden

Via a cable car to see the Hakone Volcano, the source of the hot springs

It involved a nice climb, too!

Bonus! Although it had been raining all morning we got a glimpse of Mt. Fuji as we boarded the buses


Dinner this evening was very interesting because we cooked our food in a paper bowl that didn’t catch fire from the tiny sterno that was lit beneath it.


The next day we returned to Tokyo via the bullet train – it only took 35 minutes!


Checked back into the Palace Hotel, packed and took time to enjoy the view! What a great trip!

Balcony view over Imperial Palace moat and gardens

Bubble bath view

Just chillin’ view



I’m now back in Incline Village, working on getting over the jet lag, writing a trip report and making plans for the next adventure –Biking the west coast of Ireland in early September. I’ve got a few weeks to get in shape and hope to have the energy to begin working on that tomorrow, or maybe the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!