Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Biodiversity Presentation and Bom Bom Island Resort

After we completed our school visits (271 5th grade students in all) we put on a Biodiversity Presentation for all of the teachers and other interested citizens of RA Príncipe. Dr. Bob Drewes gave an insightful lecture on how these islands came to be so special and why they are deserving of conservation today. If you are into it - there is a FORA TV video of a similar lecture available here: http://fora.tv/2010/04/21/Expedition_Spotlight_Sao_Tome

Here is a photo taken by our photographer, Andrew Stanbridge during the lecture


After the talk we shared a delicious spread of cakes, cookies, juice, tea and coffee organized by
Estrela Matilde, Environmental Health & Safety Supervisor, HBD TI - Tourism Investments, Lda.

Many Thanks to Estrela and to Ana Alice at HBD!


Our thanks to HBD for being a sponsor of this expedition and for allowing us to "camp out" at the beautiful Bom Bom Island Resort. http://www.bombomprincipe.com/


Since I am now also a travel professional, I thought it would be nice to show you one of my favorite places on this planet of ours - Bungalow # 8 - where I treated myself to just one night of pampering!





To my delight, I was not alone in this room! (It's not what you might think!)
Here was my tiny roommate - Hemidactylus principensis, the Príncipe golden-eyed gecko. An endemic species that is new to science (2013) and named for the island and her citizens!


Good Bye Príncipe - I'll miss your gentle people and warm sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!